Sepsis is a potentially life-threatening condition caused by the body‘s response to an infection.
It is a global health crisis most common and most dangerous in:
- Older adults
- Pregnant women
- Children (0-12 months)
- People suffering from chronic conditions, such as diabetes, kidney or lung disease, or cancer
- People with compromised immune systems
It affects between 27 to 30 million people worldwide each year. 7 to 9 million of those cases are often fatal, which means a case of mortality every 3.5 seconds. Depending on significant regional disparities, mortality rates may exceed more than 50%. Many surviving patients suffer from the consequences of sepsis for the rest of their lives.
Early treatment of sepsis, usually with antibiotics and large amounts of intravenous fluids, improves the chances of survival. However, every hour the treatment is delayed the survival rate drops dramatically.
Sepsis often presents as the clinical deterioration of common and preventable infections such as those of the respiratory, gastrointestinal, and urinary tract, or wounds and skin. It is frequently underdiagnosed at an early stage - when it still is potentially reversible. Therefore, a quick and accurate diagnosis is essential in the fight against sepsis.
Biomedica fully understands the importance of Sepsis as a global issue and provides a comprehensive product portfolio in the field of Sepsis Prevention, Prognosis and Diagnosis.
*Please note that not all of the products are available in all of Biomedica's subsidiaries.
Sepsis can be caused by any type of infection such as bacterial, viral, fungal, or even parasitic. Prevention is only possible through good and consistent hygiene and avoiding contact with potentially infected people.
- Biopatch®: Sponge dressing for catheter-related blood stream infections (CRBSI) prevention
- FlowArt®: Sterile infusion therapy devices - needle-free valves
- SwabArt®: Disinfecting caps for swabable - needle-free valves
- SleepAngel: Infection control bedding
- Steripower: The simple and touchless disinfection solution
TIME plays a critical role when it comes to Sepsis. Prompt diagnosis, intervention, and risk assessment are essential in caring for septic. Biomarkers, such as PSP or suPAR, may become useful adjuncts to clinicians and can help to shorten the time between the first symptoms and an appropriate therapy significantly.
Sepsis can be diagnosed by several physical symptoms such as fever, low blood pressure, increased heart rate, or difficulty in breathing. In addition, several lab tests can be used to check signs of infection or organ damage. Specific tests for identifying the pathogen, which caused the infection and led to sepsis can be helpful in initiating early therapy.
- T2Candida & T2Bacteria: Sepsis Pathogen detection directly from whole blood
- T2Resistance: The first direct-from-blood detection of resistance markers
- Alifax: Molecular Mouse Real Time PCR System & Sepsis Panel – ready to use lab-on chip cartridge
- Pan Fungal Screening: Fujifilm-WAKO's kinetic turbidimetric method for the quantitative determination of Beta-D-Glucan in Monotest format
- Aspergillus Galactomannan: IMMY’s lateral flow assay can detect Aspergillus biomarkers in under an hour.
- Gradientech: QuickMIC® - the most rapid diagnostic system for antibiotic susceptibility testing (AST) of sepsis samples